This creamy, irresistible fondue will keep your guests gathered close at hand. Add some texture and elegance with a glass of Sauvignon Blanc or Sparkling Wine.
• 8 ounces unsalted butter
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 quart whole milk
• 1 pint heavy cream
• 2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
• 3 cups grated Fontina cheese
• 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
• 2 ounces Brandy or Cognac
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 2-3 carrots (cut into batons)
• 3-4 ribs of celery (cut into batons)
• 10-12 radishes (cut into quarters)
• 25 slices of French baguette or other crusty bread 15-20 breadsticks
• 2 red bell peppers (cut into strips)
• 2 green bell peppers (cut into strips)
• 10-12 ounces country ham (cut into cubes)
• 5-6 grilled sausages (cut into slices)
• Any other dippers you love
1. In a large sauce pan, melt the butter until foamy. Meanwhile in a separate sauce pan, heat the cream and milk together and bring to a simmer. Add the flour to the butter and whisk to incorporate. Cook the flour/butter mixture over low heat for 3-4 minutes, whisking constantly and taking care to avoid browning.
2. Gradually whisk the hot cream and milk into the flour and whisk until fully incorporated. Increase heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a bubbling simmer. Continue to whisk constantly so the mixture doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan, and cook at a bubbling simmer for 3-4 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and whisk in the Parmesan cheese, Fontina cheese, nutmeg and Brandy or Cognac. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and keep warm until ready to serve.
4. Empty the kale, onions and garlic into a medium-sized mixing bowl and add the rest of the ingredients. Stir to combine, then spread out on a baking tray and place into the refrigerator to cool. This can be made ahead.
Arrange all the dippers on a large platter, and serve the fondue in the middle in a cast iron dish or fondue pot.